Westerly's Planning Office is responsible for the overseeing of land use planning, the review of major and minor development projects, subdivisions, community development activities (including administration of the Community Development Block Grant [CDBG] program), administration of federal and state grant programs, and other related activities. It provides staff support to a number of different local boards and commissions including the Planning Board.
The Planning Office is located in the lower lever of Westerly Town Hall and is an office of the Department of Development Services. Current staff positions include a Town Planner and Planning Associate.
- The Planning Board regularly meets on the third Tuesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of Westerly Town Hall. Items for consideration by the Planning Board must be submitted in accordance with full submission requirements of the Subdivision and Land Development Regulations and Zoning Ordinance, not less than three weeks prior to the scheduled Planning Board meeting.
- Any changes to existing building lot lines, creations or deletions of building lots and creations or extensions of roadways are all considered "subdivisions" and all need approval by the Planning Office (subject to additional approvals by other municipal and/or State offices and agencies as well).
- Many of Westerly's Subdivision and Land Development Regulations are mandated by the State of Rhode Island's Land Development and Subdivision Review Enabling Act of 1992 (RIGL Title 45, Chapter 23).
- Westerly's "Subdivision and Land Development Regulations" provide a complete description of the required submittals, reviews and approvals for each step of the subdivision and development plan review process. These Regulations are available through this website and may be purchased from the Town Clerk's Office for $15.00.
- A copy of the Zoning Ordinance, which is also available through this website, may be purchased from the Town Clerk's Office for $20.00 and the official Zoning Map may be purchased for $6.00.
- The Zoning Office, also located in the lower level of Town Hall, handles variances, special use permits, zoning certificates and dimensional modifications. Often, applications must be reviewed and/or approved by the Zoning Board of Review prior to Planning review and/or approval. The Zoning Board of Review regularly meets on the first Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. The Zoning Secretary, Cindy DiMaggio, can be reached at (401) 348-2551.