If you have purchased a vehicle from another state or the vehicle was registered in another state, and the model year of the vehicle is 2001 or newer, a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) check is required before you register the car.
The Westerly Police Department performs Vehicle Identification Number checks for Westerly residents.
- There is no appointment necessary
- There is a $15.00 fee payable by check or money order made out to the Town of Westerly (NO CASH)
In order to have your VIN check completed You Must Bring
- Proof of residency – RI operator’s license, utility bill, mail with local address
- The Vehicle
- Title – Original title or copy if title is held by bank
- Bill of Sale – Proper bill of sale for the motor vehicle
Inspections are conducted at police headquarters on the following scheduled days: