Professional Standards

Pursuant to Rhode Island General Law 31-21.2-8, each Municipal Police Department is required to establish a procedure to investigate complaints of Police misconduct by members of the public against personnel of these agencies.

It is the Policy of the Westerly Police Department to provide the public with this venue pursuant to the following criteria:

  1. If you feel that you have need to express your dissatisfaction with the actions of an officer, that officer shall advise the citizen of his/her name and immediate supervisor.
  2. If you feel that his/her actions warrant the intervention of the Westerly Police Department, you should respond to the Westerly Police Department and ask for the immediate supervisor of the officer you have the complaint against.
  3. This supervisor will provide you with assistance by hearing your complaint. The supervisor will try to mediate this matter with you in a fashion that is equitable to both you and the officer involved in the complaint.
  4.  If the matter can be resolved at this level the matter will be considered closed.
  5. If the matter cannot be resolved at this level, you have the option to request that a formal civilian complaint be filed on the matter and investigated by the lieutenant in charge of Internal Affairs.
  6.  All Formal Civilian complaints must be provided to the Westerly Police Department on a Civilian Compliant Form. These forms can be received by you at the following locations:      
    1. The Westerly Police Department           
    2. The Town Clerks Office, Located in the Westerly Town Hall, 45 Broad St. Westerly, RI 02891
    3. Download civilian complaint form
  7.  Once you have attained and have completed the Civilian Complaint Form you may return it to the Westerly Police Department in person, by mail, or it can be faxed to the Westerly Police Department at (401) 348-8080.

Related Documents