Westerly's Planning Department oversees land use planning, review of major and minor development projects and subdivisions, community development activities, administration of federal and state grant programs, and other related activities. It provides staff support to a number of different local boards and commissions including the Planning Board. The department's staff includes a town planner, assistant town planner, and an administrative assistant. CDBG activities are handled through a regional Community Development Consortium. The Planning Office is located in the lower lever of Westerly Town Hall.
- The Planning Board meets the third Tuesday of every month at 7 p.m. in the Town Hall Council Chambers. Planning Board Agendas are posted approximately one week prior to a meeting. Items for consideration by the Planning Board must be submitted in accordance with full submission requirements of the Subdivision and Land Development Regulations and Zoning Ordinance, not less than three weeks prior to the scheduled Planning Board meeting.
- Any changes to existing lot lines, creation or deletion of building lots, and creation or extensions of roads are all considered "subdivisions" and all need approval by at least the Planning Department.
- Many of Westerly's Subdivision and Land Development Regulations are mandated by the State of Rhode Island's Land Development and Subdivision Review Enabling Act of 1992 (RIGL Title 45, Chapter 23).
- Westerly's "Subdivision and Land Development Regulations" provide a complete description of the required submittals, reviews and approvals for each step of the subdivision and development plan review process. These Regulations are available on this website or may be purchased from the Town Clerk for $15.
- A copy of the Zoning Ordinance, which is also available on this website, may be purchased from the Town Clerk for $20 and the Official Zoning Map may be purchased for $6.
- The Zoning Department, also located in the lower level of Town Hall, handles variances, special use permits, zoning certificates and dimensional modifications. Some of these must be approved by the Zoning Board of Review, which meets the first Wednesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. The Zoning Official is Jason Parker, who can be reached at 401-348-2551.